In my last post I shared a recipe for making your own laundry detergent – but I wanted to share some resources with you in case you don’t have time to D.I.Y
Here are some things to look out for when buying eco-friendly detergent:
- 100% non-toxic
- 100% biodegradable
- phosphate free
- no sls (Sodium lauryl sulfate) or sles (sodium laureth sulfate) (Be sure to watch out for these two in your soap and shampoo, too!)
- no NPE (nonylphenol ethoxylate) or 1,4-dioxane
- no petrochemicals /fragrances/masking agents
- no optical brighteners
- Bonus points if it’s made from plant-based enzymes
- performs well in cold water
- eco certified
Full discloser: I haven’t used these yet, but I searched around and found two non-toxic, natural laundry detergents that fit the criteria. Dr. Mercola also makes an enzyme formula that fits the bill.
Do you have anymore brands to recommend that don’t sneak any toxic things into their detergent? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below!