Golden milk is a hot ayurvedic drink traditionally made with milk, honey & turmeric (and a few other ingredients, depending on who you ask.)
I’ve put my own spin on this by adding some mineral rich cocao and a few more spices.
This is my absolute favorite way to get turmeric into my body, and it’s perfect for this time of year.
It gives my mood a boost, and the spices in this drink make it extremely nourishing & warming.
All of the ingredients have amazing health benefits (especially when taken together) – here are just a few:
- Raw cocao is rich in magnesium, antioxidants and those “bliss chemicals” we love so much (phenylethylamine & anandamide).
- Curcumin is the compound in turmeric that makes it a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. It’s great for the joints, brain, heart, skin & immune system, and has been proven to alleviate the symptoms of depression. It’s also known to increase flexibility of the tendons (perfect for yogis & dancers).
- The pinch of pepper in this recipe actually boosts your bodies ability to absorb the curcumin in turmeric by up to 2000 percent! [Source]. It also gives the drink a great kick and makes it taste a bit like chai.
- The healthy fat in coconut oil also allows the curcumin + the magnesium in the cocoa to be absorbed better.
“When eaten with fat, curcumin can be directly absorbed into the bloodstream through the lymphatic system, thereby in part bypassing the liver.” [Source]
I could probably go on all day about the health benefits of the rest of the ingredients, but on to the recipe…
Chocolate golden milk
- 1 cup of almond or coconut milk (or the milk of your choice)
- One 1/2 inch piece of ginger
- 1/2 a teaspoon dried turmeric powder (or one 1/2 inch piece fresh turmeric)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons raw cocao powder
- Raw honey to taste – I used 1 1/2 tablespoons ( feel free to substitute coconut sugar or the sweetener of your choice if you’re vegan or want to use something low glycemic.)
- 1/2 tsp unrefined / cold pressed Coconut oil (or ghee if you’re not making it a vegan drink.)
- a pinch each of cayenne, cinnamon & black pepper
- optional but delicious: a few cardamom pods (cracked open)
- Add milk to your pot and start to simmer on medium heat..
- Add your piece of ginger.
- Stir in the other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and let it simmer for about 5 – 10 more minutes.
- Pull out your piece of ginger (and turmeric if you used the fresh root)
- Pour into a mug and enjoy.
I hope you give this one a try – Share a pic of your chocolate golden milk with the hashtag #herbalmedicineeveryday on instagram and let me know what you think!
If this drink sounds good, you may also enjoy this raw cocao turmeric smoothie recipe.
Could you use a little more healthy living, skin loving inspiration? Sign up for weekly updates, HERE
Disclaimer: Please note this article is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or suggest treatment. Please be sure to do your research and consult with a medical professional before consuming any new herbs or spices, especially if pregnant, nursing, or have any medical conditions.